Amendment - more details and photos - Stunning RLS with Targa Florio
coachwork; FIVA ID card; restored by Neil Twyman; Hall & Hall engine rebuild
less than 1,000 miles ago; well-known car with recent International Rally
history; a usable and multi-discipline car to use in a wide
range of International events
There was good reason why Henry Ford once observed 'Every time I see an Alfa Romeo pass by, I raise my hat'. Such was their engineering quality, style, fit and finish, not to mention their success in International competition, that for decades, Alfa Romeo sat at the top of the motoring firmament.
Their first car, the 24 HP of just over four-litres soon acquitted itself as a sporting machine, surprising onlookers at the 1911 Targa Florio and setting the scene for what was to come. A smaller 12 HP with 2 1/2-litres soon entered production, continuing Alfa's winning streak. Their 40-60 model of 1912 was six-litres of pure sportscar with various unique built-to formula racing cars also manufactured during the period.
Common to all was the way they drove, the engineering sophistication and their winning ways. No surprise then, when a three-litre formula was put forward for the 1921 season, Alfa Romeo (Nicola Romeo having added his name to the company by this time) were ready with a new dry-sump six-cylinder ohv engine for their new RL series.
Despite a reduction in capacity for the 1922 GP formula, the three-litre RL series engine had proven itself so robust and reliable that full-scale production was started. Also known as the 22-90, some 2,640 were made in all types before production ceased in late 1927. According to Luigi Fussi's definitive work, not more than a baker's dozen have survived worldwide.
The RL Sport was made for the first 5 series between 1922 and 1925, a broadly similar but re-named RL Super Sports continuing until the RL was dropped - the immortal Jano-designed small-capacity 6Cs making their debut in 1927.
This 3rd Series RLS, chassis number 7668 has been verified by both Angela Cherret of the Alfa Register and Marco Fazio in Milan and was loosely assembled during the 1980s from parts accumulated. We are indebted to its progenitor who has confirmed the chassis as an exact copy of a genuine TF frame and its correct 3-litre engine and gearbox have been upgraded to twin-carburettor S-type form including a dry sump – engine number 7668.
The car was delivered to restoration expert Neil Twyman to undertake what was to be a long-term restoration, bringing all aspects up to the full 1924 Targa Florio spec. including the glorious V-shape radiator. It changed hands during this period, invoices on file from Twyman outlining well over £100,000 of work, alongside multiple others from a range of suppliers.
By 2007 it was fully ready, joining the Goodwood FOS press day, shortly after finding a new owner in David Bridges who displayed it at Salon Prive in 2008. The car sat in his private collection until 2015 when our vendor acquired it and put it to good use.
In 2015 and 2016, Hall and Hall gave the car a good going-over, including a complete engine strip post the Goodwood Members Meeting. Everything was cleaned and checked, the cam reground and big ends and main bearings checked for condition. They crack tested all moving parts, faced the block and measured the valve spring pressures among numerous other jobs - bills totalling more than £18,000. The invoices are shown in the photos attached.
It is currently sitting on a set of Blockley tyres – a set of four barely used Dunlop road tyres are included, along with a yet to be fitted set of undertrays copied from a well-known TF.
A multiple entrant in the SF Edge Trophy Race at the Goodwood Members Meeting, it has also entertained in various International events including La Leggenda di Bassano Rally in Italy in 2019, Hampton Court Concours and Salon Prive - winning best open top sports in 2019.
On offer due to a change of direction by the owner, it has proved both extremely reliable and exciting, its FIVA identity card giving it International appeal and access to a multitude of events.
On the button and ready for action, it comes with a set of cycle wings (not currently fitted) and is equally at home on the road or track.
The car is located at our offices in Leominster, Herefordshire and is available for viewing by appointment.
Once you have made your bid and planned your first outing in the car, you might like to consider this offering in our forthcoming sale that completes on 13th September.....an ideal tender vehicle to the RLS - it would look most appropriate...
Contact - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Buyers Fees - We charge a Buyer’s Premium of 12% plus vat on the hammer price.
• Vehicles - This car is physically with us at our Easters Court premises so we have inspected both the vehicle itself and the associated paperwork.
• Registration Deposit- A deposit reservation (like a hotel/hire car booking) of £10,000 is needed to participate in the Auction. Please note that all deposit reservations are managed through Sagepay. Unsuccessful purchasers should note that refunds of deposits can take approximately 3 - 5 days, you will get an email at the time we have processed the release from our side and please check with your bank to ensure they do not have a longer return policy. Please contact the office on 0044 1568 611122 or email email@example.com for payment instructions if you are unable to do this by card.
• Reserve Price and Provisional Sales – This lot has a reserve price and the final highest bid on the lot may be accepted by the seller, even if it is below the reserve. Should the bidding finish at a value which is lower than the reserve, we will put forward this offer to the vendor. If the price is accepted, then the highest bidder will be the purchaser. If the price is not accepted, then we will contact the highest bidder. All bids are binding and you cannot withdraw any bids - you will be liable for all lots sold to you. We endeavour to get sales agreed and completed on the day of the auction. This is unfortunately not always the case, though we will deal with provisional bids in the order they are placed, so please ensure you are available.
• Commission Bids - We will accept commission bids up until 9am on Wednesday 6th September and only when the suitable deposit has been lodged. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to leave a commission bid.
• Invoicing and Payments – The successful bidder will be invoiced no later than the day following the sale. The winning bidder’s deposit reservation will be captured immediately after the sale. The balance is required within 48 hours of the auction completion.
• Collection/Delivery - The vehicle can be removed from Brightwells’ site by appointment and should be removed by Friday 15th September to avoid storage charges.
•Tips on Bidding - Register early and don’t bid late! And please note the following:
o Bids cannot be withdrawn at any time. All bids are contractually binding.
o If your bid has the value up to or at the reserve, the bid will be taken at it's maximum to the reserve.
o If your bid is forced above the reserve by other bidders, then our increment system comes into play and you will see what the next minimum bid can be on the bid page. If your maximum bid is above the increment, the bid will go to the increment, unless someone thereafter forces the bid up to your maximum. Bidders cannot place a bid with the same maximum that someone else has already placed, so a warning will tell you if your bid is the same. You may pay less than your maximum bid if you win, therefore, depending on other bidders.
o Further tips on bidding in this auction can be found in our Guide To Timed Auctions https://www.brightwells.com/guide-to-bidding-in-a-timed-auction/
RECOMMENDED HARDWARE & SOFTWARE Our website is built with the newest coding to provide security and the best experience. Older hardware and software that is not supported by manufacturers and providers is always best avoided, so we recommend that you use this IT specification to help you to bid:
- A stable internet/4G internet connection is essential
- Desktop/Laptop minimum browser requirements: Edge 15+, Chrome 55+, Firefox 52+, Opera 42+ or Safari 11+
- Mobile/Tablet minimum browser requirement: IOS 11+, Samsung Internet 6.2+, UC Browser for Android 12.12 +
* All charges are subject to VAT