Delivered to Parrs of Leicester in October 1955, this 405
was first owned by Mr P Foden of ERF Ltd. It was first registered on
7th November 1955 with the number OBC 42.
A copy of the factory 'advice of despatch' shows its original livery as Chinese Ivory with Medium Blue interior and silver wheels. It came with overdrive, heater, fog, spot and map lights and was fitted with Michelin X tyres. It also had an HMV radio with two speakers.
Further service records show attention at the factory in August the following year, and BB Mills in Cheshire saw it again in April 1959. By 1961 it was residing in London in the hands of Mr J Chapman of Chancery Lane, The Honourable William Waldegrave (now Baron Waldegrave of North Hill) owned the car in 1974 by which time it had covered 94,277 miles, being sent to Bristol Motors for a major overhaul.
Time passed and it changed hands a few times in the 1980s, ending up partly restored in Timothy Stamper's workshop where it then remained for some time. Brian was contacted by the then-owner who wanted to move the project forward in 2000, but after collection, refused to give the go-ahead for the work to commence, the car eventually coming into Brian's ownership after three years.
As one can see, it is far from complete, but the bodywork has been very well finished and the paintwork is impressive. There are parts to find, including some engine ancilliaries and gearbox, but we have plenty of those in the sale that finishes tomorrow - how hard can it be....?
The original OBC 42 registration number is still current on the DVLA database and refers to this chassis number so its new owner should be able to acquire a new V5C in their name in the usual way.
* All charges are subject to VAT