Only around 1,600 miles since full restoration; one of only 2,111
made; a gorgeous example of this rare and sporting Roadster
Widely regarded as the most beautiful post-war MG, the delightful Syd Enever-designed MGA was launched in 1955 and remained in production until 1962 in both Coupe and Roadster form. For the really committed driver, a high performance 108bhp Twin-Cam version of the MGA was made available from 1958, significantly upgrading the power delivery over the earlier 1,500cc and later 1,600cc pushrod ohv models.
Developed by Gerald Palmer using a modified B-Series engine with a light alloy cross-flow cylinder head with twin overhead camshafts, it also featured uprated suspension, all-round disc brakes and exclusive Dunlop centre-lock wheels (closely resembling those on the racing Jaguar D-Types).
Despite these mechanical refinements and 113mph performance, the Twin-Cam failed to sell in great numbers, due mainly to its high price. Only 2,111 cars were sold before production came to an end in April 1960, 1,801 of which were Roadsters and all but 360 were for the export market, making the Twin-Cam one of the rarest, most sought-after post-war MG sports cars.
As the Heritage Certificate and other records on file confirm, this Twin-Cam Roadster was built in March 1959 destined for the North American market. Originally Old English White (but repainted green while in America), it was brought back to the UK in 1990. Notes on file state that it had covered 55,000 miles at this point and was a rust-free example retaining all its original panels.
In 2005/2006 it was treated to a full body-off restoration by Couston Classics of Aberdour with the magnificent results you see today. The full extent of the work carried out is far too detailed to list in full here but is amply documented in dozens of invoices and various photos on file, with almost £17,000 seemingly spent on parts alone. This included a full engine rebuild with new pistons, bearings, reground crank etc, and conversion to RHD.
In December 2013 the engine was completely stripped and rebuilt again by Mistral Cars of Newbury with new pistons, bearings, gaskets, timing chain etc, the cylinder head also being rebuilt with many new parts. Other parts were crack tested and ultrasonically cleaned and the con rods and pistons were all balanced, the finished unit being electronically tested to ensure correct oil pressure and oil distribution and correct compressions across all cylinders.
Our vendor acquired the car from Mistral Cars in April 2014 and has covered around 1,000 miles in it since. During this time it has been looked after by Mike Tandy at Ashley Motors of New Milton (MG accredited) who has also rebuilt the carbs and fitted electronic ignition. In February this year it was treated to a check-over and tune-up by Beaulieu Garage.
Fitted with an aftermarket woodrim steering wheel to improve leg room, the original steering wheel is also included. A battery trickle-charger is also present, along with a full set of weather gear, a wheel-changing kit and a four-layer car cover.
As you can see in the photos, this MGA looks absolutely stunning and has been starting promptly and running well as we have moved it around on site, with good 60psi oil pressure. Surely among the best Twin-Cams available, it needs to be seen to be properly appreciated.
For more information contact James on 07970 309907 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
* All charges are subject to VAT