1952 Jowett Javelin
From a deceased estate; few owners, the current since 2016; engine rebuilt less than 5,000 miles ago; original transferable number plate
The Jowett brothers began making cars at their Bradford factory as early as 1906 and quickly earned a reputation for making tough, well-engineered cars with outstanding economy and excellent pulling power – ideal for charging around the Yorkshire Dales!
But the car that really put them on the map was the Javelin, a compact family saloon so far ahead of its UK-produced rivals that it had more in common with the best that Europe had to offer. Designed by Gerald Palmer and launched in 1947, it was intended to be a major leap forward following the relatively staid designs of pre-war Jowetts.
It was powered by a superb 1.5-litre flat-four engine featuring an aluminium block and wet cylinder liners, developing 50bhp and giving the car a maximum speed of 77mph and a 0-50mph time of 13.4 seconds. A four-speed gearbox with column change was used, feeding the power to the rear wheels and giving the Javelin performance that wouldn't feel out of place in a car 40 years' its junior.
The Javelin went through five variants labelled PA to PE, each having standard and ‘DeLuxe’ options. Fast and economical, it achieved considerable competition success, coming first in class at the 1949 Monte Carlo Rally, winning the 2-litre touring car class at the Spa 24-hour race that same year, and winning the 1953 International Tulip Rally outright. Production ended in 1953 when over 25,000 had been sold – had it been made by a bigger company like Ford, it would have sold ten times that number.
First registered in September 1952, this particular Javelin PD has had just four owners from new, according to the V5C, the first being a Trevor Gratton of Boroughbridge who was to keep it until 1997. It comes with a good file of invoices extending back to the late 1980s showing regular upkeep over the years, including bodywork repairs in 1989 when new sills were fitted and the door bottoms repaired.
In 1997 it was bought from Grundy Mack Classic Cars by a Bruce Hammond of Guiseley who kept it until 2012 and spent much money on the car in 1999/2000 including a full engine rebuild with new pistons, bearings, timing chain etc, at which point the mileage was 7,551 (now 12,087). The brakes and suspension were also overhauled at the same time along with numerous other jobs.
The current owner, a Jowett Club member, acquired the car in 2016 and has used it only lightly, mainly to go to local shows and also putting it to use as a bridal car on the occasion of his daughter's wedding - always risky but she got to the church on time! On offer here from a deceased estate, the car has not been driven at all in the last couple of years but was soon coaxed into life on arrival at Brightwells although the fuel is stale and it would doubtless benefit from a precautionary checkover before any long journeys are undertaken.
As you can see in the photos it is in generally good order throughout with a nicely patinated red leather interior. It retains its original number plate, MXJ 771, which is transferable and it also comes with an original owner’s instruction manual.
For more information contact James on 07970 309907 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
* All charges are subject to VAT