1946 MG TC
A very nicely prepared ex-Concours winner; full weather equipment; driven to the sale; lots of history with this one...
The MG TC appeared as soon as MG could resume car production in 1945 and was essentially a revamped version of the pre-war MG TA / TB models.
The TC retained the classic 1930's MG styling which was exactly what MG buyers were looking for, particularly car-hungry American ex-servicemen. With its dual-cowl dashboard, fold-flat windscreen, cutaway-doors, separate wings, rear-mounted spare wheel and slab fuel tank, it was every young man’s dream of what a sports car should be.
It was powered by an unburstable 1,250cc cast iron OHV four-cylinder 54bhp engine mated to a four-speed synchromesh gearbox that enabled a top speed near 80mph. Roomier and more comfortable than the preceding models, the TC remained in production until 1949 when it was replaced by the TD. Exactly 10,000 were sold in total, the vast majority to America, and survivors are keenly sought-after today.
This very smart TC came into the hands of the vendor via a friend who was dealing with a deceased estate. The large history file traces the car back to 1963 when it was owned by John Daniel from Huddersfield as a young man, replacing his ‘hot rod’ Ford special that he had built with his own fair hands. He kept it for some time, the only problem that needed fixing being a broken piston. A period colour photo shows the car in the hills above Huddersfield.
It was acquired by a gentlemen living in Newark in 1983, changing hands once again in February 1986 to a chap from Crawley who kept it for 18 months – with bills on file to show some work was done during this period.
In November 1987 Barry Walker sold it to its next owner who undertook a complete restoration. This is documented in a very comprehensive ‘Restoration Log’ which goes into great detail with a day-by-day blow of the work carried out…
By 1989 it was back in regular use and was actively shown at events, winning numerous Concours prizes along the way. This diary goes through to 1996.
It is interesting to note that a letter from the TC Registrar states that it was not known to the Register until 1990.
The car was subsequently bought by a gentleman from Lymington and was certainly in his ownership by 2006. He sadly passed away and a friend helped to recommission the car in 2020. A list of the work done includes a half-shaft and hub, plugs, a new petrol pump, battery, oil etc, brake fluid and a carb overhaul.
It was sold to the vendor as part of a slightly complicated part-exchange arrangement for his Vincent Black Shadow and although he has enjoyed the car, it was not really on his radar before it arrived in his garage.
Driven some 30 miles to the sale, he stated he would have been happy to have driven it 150 miles plus had he needed to. Complete with full weather equipment including hood, tonneau and side screens, this little TC is as nice an example as we have offered for sale, looking most appealing in its red and tan livery.
For more information – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* All charges are subject to VAT