1934 BSA 10hp Saloon
Few owners; recent engine overhaul; transferable number plate; charmingly original example of this rare model
As the original buff logbook confirms, this nicely original BSA 10hp Saloon was first registered on 2nd January 1934 to a Mrs Alice Seabrooke of Beaconsfield who was to keep it for the next 34 years. Research reveals that she was involved with the India Office which may account for the car being taxed during the first two years of the war – a privilege denied to ordinary civilians.
A dashboard plaque shows that it was supplied new via Spink Brothers of Bournemouth, while another buff logbook shows that the second owner was a George Holliday of Ross-on-Wye who acquired it from Mrs Seabrooke in 1968 and was to keep it for the next 20 years. In 1988 he sold it to a Mr Brian Clifford of Craven Arms who kept it until 1991 when it was acquired by a Herefordshire family in whose name it has remained ever since.
We are told that the car has been kept in running order these past 20 years but has never ventured far, a few invoices on file showing that it had a refurbished fuel tank in 2010 (internally coated to protect it from ethanol fuel), a new head gasket in 2011, new gearbox oil in 2016 plus various other minor items. There are also two old MOTs on file, one from 1966 and another from 1996. We are further told that the engine had a major overhaul about two years ago, including a top-end rebuild and new piston rings, although there are no bills to substantiate this. It certainly started promptly and ran well enough as we moved it around for these photos.
Sympathetically restored at some point in the not-too-distant past, it presents well both above and below, with pleasingly original red leather upholstery, although the driver’s seat squab has split and will need repairing. A battery cut-off switch has been installed as have modern flashing indicators although the original semaphores are also included.
The history file includes an original instruction book, original 20-page sales brochure on the BSA Ten and Light Six range, copies of various period road tests plus much other technical literature relating to the model. The car also retains its original Bournemouth-issued number plate, LJ 8998, which is transferable.
With space for all the family and an active club scene, this rare and attractive early '30s saloon has a lot to commend it and now needs a caring fifth owner who can preserve it for future generations to enjoy.
For more information contact James on 07970 309907 or email email@example.com
In its time, the Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA) manufactured all manner of items from bicycles to buses and firearms to machine tools; not to mention motorcycles and motorcars.
The first examples of the latter were rear-wheel drive machines, but from 1929 BSA, who had by now taken over the ailing Daimler concern, turned its attention to front-wheel drive three-wheelers. Though commonplace now, powering the front wheels was relatively novel at the time, and BSA combined the configuration with such niceties as a reverse gear, electric start and full weather protection.
Having foreseen the growing demand for small, lightweight cars, BSA added a wheel to its trike to create the four-wheeled FW32 which was soon developed into the Scout. A big step forward was the introduction of the rear-wheel drive BSA 10 in 1934 which was based on the Lanchester 10 chassis and running gear with a 4-door 4-seater body by Pressed Steel which was very similar to the Hillman Minx. It could also be ordered with a coachbuilt body by the likes of Mulliner or Peerless.
It was powered by a water-cooled 1,185cc straight-four, side-valve engine that drove through a Daimler fluid flywheel to a four-speed pre-selector gearbox, giving a top speed of 58mph on level ground. The standard 10hp saloon cost £230 at launch while the Peerless Coupe cost £268 and the Tickford Coupe de Ville open version cost £275.
* All charges are subject to VAT