1952 Riley RMB
From a deceased estate; current owner 44 years; used in the Father Brown TV series; older restoration in generally good order throughout; transferable number; last driven 18 months ago
As the buff and green logbooks confirm, this Riley RMB was supplied new in January 1952 by Coventry Motor Mart and then had seven owners, all in the Midlands, before our vendor acquired it back in the long hot summer of 1976 to join a collection of classic cars.
Kept garaged and used sparingly in fine weather only, three old MOTs show that the car only covered some 500 miles between 2009 and 2012 while another 1,000 miles have been added since. We are told that the Riley was occasionally used for film and TV work, including a recent appearance in the BBC’s Father Brown series.
Apart from an invoice for a new wiring harness in 2005 there is precious little history with the car but it has clearly been well-restored at some point. The doors fit beautifully with no play evident in the frame, while the burgundy leather seats are in excellent shape, as are the doorcards, carpets, headlining and interior wood trimmings. On the outside the silver bronze paintwork is very presentable as is all the brightwork. It retains its original Coventry-issue number plate, LWK 518, which is transferable.
Last driven 18 months ago when it was also treated to an oil change, this lovely RMB has been kept in storage since and will doubtless benefit from a precautionary check-over before venturing forth once more.
Long, low and rakish, the Riley RM was the last series of cars to be developed independently by Riley before the 1952 merger of Riley's Nuffield Organisation with Austin to form BMC.
While the RMA and RME made do with a 1.5-litre engine, the RMB and its successor, the RMF, had the 2.5-litre 'Big-Four' with twin camshafts mounted high at the sides of the cylinder block, hemispherical combustion chambers and twin SU carbs. In RMB form the engine was rated at 100bhp giving the big saloon a top speed just a whisker shy of the magic ton, driving through a four-speed gearbox.
Coachbuilt in the traditional way with luxurious interiors, excellent ride and secure roadholding, the RM series proved very popular not only with the middle class buyers it was aimed at, but also with the police. Around 6,900 RMBs were sold between 1946 and 1952, the first cars built in Coventry with production moving to the MG works at Abingdon in 1949.
For more information contact James on 07970 309907 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
* All charges are subject to VAT